[BRLTTY] What would be a simple way to detect if a Braille device is connected through USB?

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Aug 2 17:47:08 EDT 2022

[quoted lines by Didier Spaier on 2022/08/02 at 23:23 +0200]

>this follows an issue reported by Philippe Delavalade.
>
>He told me that he reads a line 40 characters at a time so if there are many
>columns he has to to fetch the next 40 cheracters several times to reach the end
>of the display before reading the next line, even if the line's length (in terms
>of displayed characters) is way shorter.

Firstly, I don't think it's a good idea to impose such a constraint on all users just because one has an apparent difficulty.

Thanks for the explanation. I do understand it. He's saying that he needs to navigate through all that blank space, one display length at a time, at the end of a short line.

This, of course, would be a problem for all of us so brltty has a solution for it. There are two settings within its Navigation Options submenu that are of interest, here:

The first is Skip Blank Braille Windows. My guess is that it's set to No for him. Setting it to Yes does what he wants, i.e. automatically skip over any part of a line that's all spaces.

The second is Skiip Which Blank Braille Windows. I think he might want to set it to End of Line. It can also be set to All, which would then also skip blank areas at the beginning or middle of a line.

>Probably I don't really understand what happens or maybe what he means, but
>please bear with me: I never used a Braille device and would be unable to do that.

Never a problem.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |