[BRLTTY] Multi-column characters (was: Re: 6.5 soon)

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Feb 1 15:00:28 EST 2022

[quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2022/02/01 at 21:43 +0200]

>What do you mean by corresponding single-byte characters? Are you talkig about
>characters which have a single-byte representation a particular character set
>or characters which have a single-column wide glyph?

Yes, it was a poor choice of words. I realized that after sending. I of course meant width of 1.

>I wish Linux console would be fixed and upgraded for the 21st century so that
>it would have proper Unicode font support. More realistic probably is to get
>other terminal emulators to work with BRLTTY (or vice versa).

My opinion is that there should be a common shared memory rendering of the screen content. Then other platforms, e.g. Chrome OS, could also benefit.

>I think this is feasible. People probably don't feel much need to toggle it
>very often.

And what about my position that the default should be the way it is now? I want to make it easy for the actual language users.

>Another question then is could we find a way to keep braille glyphs
>aligned on terminals that really support wide characters. I think this can be
>solved separately.

That'd be assuming a standard braille width, which isn't true. chinese braille, for example, is doing roughly what PinYin does, i.e. a given braille cell represents a discrete sound.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |