[BRLTTY] Multi-column characters (was: Re: 6.5 soon)

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Feb 2 07:51:03 EST 2022

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2022/02/01 at 20:26 -0500]

>I think the default should be for wide characters that have no braille
>representation (currently represented by a question mark) to span 2
>cells with blank padding by default.

What if there aren't enough spaces at the end of the row? Should excess non-space characters at the end be dropped or should wide character padding stop early?

>>You still can get a full description of such characters with DESCHAR if
>needed.

That doesn't actually work very well as the ICU descriptions for those characters are essentially useless. We'd need to add a (possibly language-dependent) table that gives proper descriptions for those characters. If we do, I'm not sure it's something we'd want to go through the effort of localizing.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |