[BRLTTY] Multi-column characters (was: Re: 6.5 soon)

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Wed Feb 2 11:39:19 EST 2022

On 2022-02-01 at 20:26 -0500, Nicolas Pitre <nico at fluxnic.net> wrote:
 > On Tue, 1 Feb 2022, Dave Mielke wrote:
 > > And what about my position that the default should be the way it is now? I want to make it easy for the actual language users.

 > Those users certainly have a braille table with definitions for all the
 > unicode characters they may encounter.

According to Dave, users of Chinise braille at least always use contraction. I
don't know about other Asian languages.

 > I think the default should be for wide characters that have no braille
 > representation (currently represented by a question mark) to span 2
 > cells with blank padding by default. At least in that case the total
 > spacing will be right and things will properly align vertically.

I'm against this. I have special braille glyphs for many emojis, but I still
want the padding space (inserted by Linux) to be present after them.

I'd like to have a separate setting for removing padding spaces, and I wish
that this toggle does not affect BRLTTY's behaviour otherwise.

--
Aura