[BRLTTY] Orbit Writer bluetooth braille keyboard, key presses do nothing, BRLTTY 5.5 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jul 2 14:35:22 EDT 2022

[quoted lines by Emma Sajic on 2022/06/26 at 13:28 +0100]

>After doing this, Bluetooth was working OK but I couldn't start xbrlapi. I
>did some more mail archive searching and discovered that I needed to make
>sure /etc/brlapi.key is world-readable (mine wasn't, it was read-write for
>owner and no permissions for group or others).
>
>chmod ugo+r /etc/brlapi.key

That isn't a very secure way to do it. Perhaps you aren't using a distributin that sets all of this up properly for you. You did say that it came with 5.5, which would be rather out-of-date.

>BRLTTY is initially configured to use US Computer Braille for keyboard input
>https://brltty.app/doc/Manual-BRLTTY/English/BRLTTY-6.html
>https://brltty.app/doc/Manual-BRLTTY/English/BRLTTY-14.html

That's how it used to be. These days, the default is locale-based autoselection. In your log, you'll find:

   using autoselected text table: en_GB

>But when I try to type anything else in Computer Braille for example the at
>sign, which is supposed to be dots 4 and 7, or Computer Braille numbers, I
>don't get the output I expected.

That's because your default is to use UK computer braille.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |