Used braille hardware (was Re: [BRLTTY] NetBSD)

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Dec 10 21:15:43 EST 2005

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 10:41:04PM -0800, Debee Norling wrote:
> As for Braille display hardware, it's pretty amazing what can be gotten on
> Ebay if you're somewhat adventurous. I scorred a PowerBraille 80 for $75
> last year, and that is not a typo.
That was a very smart purchasing decision. I ran a few quick searches on there
and found that someone in Canada is trying to sell a collection of old
tape-based Telesensory Versabraille machines - so if anybody here is
interested... Read the descriptions carefully, though, as at least one of them
has damaged cells, and none of them has been properly tested.

I never owned a VersaBraille, but it was the first braille display shown to me
in a demonstration back in the 1980's. It had a 20-cell display and used
standard cassette tape for file storage. I don't know whether it has a
protocol that allows it to be used with access software, however. VersaBraille
isn't currently supported by BRLTTY.