[BRLTTY] NetBSD

Debee Norling debee at jfcl.com
Sat Dec 10 01:41:04 EST 2005

Thanks for your warm and friendly reply.

I'll keep you posted on how using the defaults goes. My vax is busy building
bash from source right now and it is very slow by modern standards so it
won't finish until I'm in bed probably.

As for donating hardware to improve Brltty, I'll announce this at tomorrow's
Dec Collector's lunch (DCL) which we run in Silicon Valley on the second
Saturday of each month. NetBSD runs on about 14 different architectures,
many being old surplus hardware. The classic computer list might be another
place to post, but I'm not subscribed to it.

There is also a NetBSD group that meets here in Silicon Valley, so I can
suggest this as a home for no longer wanted hardware there as well.
Collectors, especially people who labor to restore old hardware,  hate to
see the computers scrapped, yet it piles up in the garage and eventually
they need to dispose of it somehow. The idea of improving Brltty should
appeal to them.

As for Braille display hardware, it's pretty amazing what can be gotten on
Ebay if you're somewhat adventurous. I scorred a PowerBraille 80 for $75
last year, and that is not a typo. It's been my impression that when access
technology is priced very low on ebay that it is government surplus gear
that may have come from a defunct agency, not an individual selling his own
stuff. I don't know how to make those vendors aware of the possibility of
donating instead of selling the items though.

Well, this is off-topic; just a few random thoughts. I am grateful for all
the hard work that's gone in to Brltty.

--Debee