[BRLTTY] NetBSD

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Dec 9 16:31:42 EST 2005

[quoted lines by Debee Norling on 2005/12/09 at 12:38 -0800]

>I've been fooling with NetBSD mostly on vaxes lately, because my husband is
>a former Dec employee who collects and restores old digital equipment corp
>computers. Most of his buddies have wives who want them to clear out the
>garage, but as long as the hardware he collects eventually runs, I'm happy
>to have more computers to play with. Setting them up is challenging and
>really fun.

I'm an opportunist. Would any of those other husbands, in an attempt to please
their wives, mind clearing out at least one of those systems by sending it to
me so that we can perhaps give that platform better on-going support?

>I see that the newest Brltty supports NetBSD but I'm a bit lost on how to
>run ./configure to make sure it will build correctly.

The defaults should be right (at least that's the goal). Please run it with no
options and then check through the summary at the bottom. If something doesn't
appear to be right then we'll discuss it.

>Also it seems like the
>NetBSD folks encourage users to work within their pkgsrc system, which
>enables you to build packages from source, only Brltty isn't in the system.
>Pkgsrc does a lot of the configure step automatically to ensure that
>software is correctly set up for NetBSD.

NetBSD in general, and pkgsrc in particular, are things that I, personally,
know very little about. We can all always learn, though. :-)

>* Has this been discussed before on the list, and if so, which month should
>I search?

No, it hasn't.

>* If it hasn't been discussed, can we?

Of course!