[BRLTTY] NetBSD

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Dec 11 02:17:26 EST 2005

[quoted lines by Debee Norling on 2005/12/10 at 22:17 -0800]

>Well, I'm such a novice I can't tell if ./configure actually worked or not.

As you note further on:

>It goes on like that for pages, some tests working and some not.

whether or not the configure script worked can have several different meanings.
The best thing to do is to just look at the very end of the output. Let
configure run all the way to completion. If the final lines indicate some sort
of error then something serious went wrong. Normally, the output should end
with a couple of screenfuls of data entitled "Options Summary". It begins
something like this:

   config.status: Options Summary:
      execute-root:
      install-root:
      libdir: /lib

It's this summary which gives a fairly good indication as to how the configure
as a whole went. If something looks wrong here then all the rest of the ugly
output (conveniently already captured in config.log) may need to be inspected
in order to try to figure out why.

>  Invocation command line was
>  $ ./configure --with-braille-device=ts

This is incorrect. The --with-braille-device= option is for specifying the
special device file which should be used in order to communicate with your
braille display, e.g. --with-braille-device=dty00. What you're really wanting
to do is specify the brltty driver which should be used, which means that
you're really wanting to use the --with-braille-driver= option, e.g.
--with-braille-driver=ts. You could actually let both of these default, and
just set up a set of system defaults. You can do this by creating the file
/etc/brltty.conf, and putting in it lines like:

   braille-driver ts
   braille-device dty00