[BRLTTY] Typing/reading braille combinations

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Apr 17 23:25:39 EDT 2006

As long as the key bindings are easy to configure, as I am sure they are, this
isn't such a major issue, but for reference, my INKA (which offers a braille
keyboard mode) maps the keys thus:
asdfjkl; are dots
73214568 respectively, and the space bar inserts a space (ASCII 32).

I would like this arrangement to be available at least as a configuration file
that can be loaded.

Are you mapping to the Unicode representations of the braille dot patterns, or
directly to whatever character set the user wants to map to the 256 possible
8-dot braille characters? In the former case you would still need user-space
support in BRLTTY to handle the braille character table. I also hope the
kernel support is sufficiently general that the decision of which characters
to map to can be made in a loadable key table, just like other keyboard
layouts for the console.

As I have various other issues to sort out, I haven't yet updated my kernel,
but plan to do so shortly after 2.6.17 comes out, if not before.