[BRLTTY] Typing/reading braille combinations

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Apr 18 02:29:08 EDT 2006

Jason White, le Tue 18 Apr 2006 13:25:39 +1000, a écrit :
> As long as the key bindings are easy to configure, as I am sure they are, this
> isn't such a major issue, but for reference, my INKA (which offers a braille
> keyboard mode) maps the keys thus:
> asdfjkl; are dots
> 73214568 respectively, and the space bar inserts a space (ASCII 32).
>
> I would like this arrangement to be available at least as a configuration file
> that can be loaded.

Yes, this is the default.

> Are you mapping to the Unicode representations of the braille dot patterns,

That's it by default (as described in the README file).

> In the former case you would still need user-space support in BRLTTY
> to handle the braille character table.

Indeed. But brltty can already do this right now, before 2.6.17: by
opening evdev and grabbing the keyboard, it can grab keypresses and
hence implement braille chords at wil.

> I also hope the kernel support is sufficiently general that the
> decision of which characters to map to can be made in a loadable key
> table, just like other keyboard layouts for the console.

For now, only unicode representations are emitted. But we can add an
ioctl for loading maps and then there brltty could just feed the kernel
with his tables and not need to handle them afterwards.

Regards,
Samuel