[BRLTTY] USB2Serial under Linux

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Aug 7 00:47:49 EDT 2006

[quoted lines by Hermann on 2006/08/06 at 15:49 +0200]

>I type:
>brltty -d usb:ttySx -t de

Only use "usb:" if brltty is to use usb directly. Also note that what follows
the "usb:" is intertpreted as the serial number of the display. What you're
asking brltty to do, in other words, is to use usb directly to the device which
has "ttySx" as its serial number.

If you're using a usb->serial adapter then you want brltty to use serial I/O,
which means that you must specify "serial:" followed by the device name. Also,
"ttySx" name the serial devices whereas "ttyUSBx" name the usb->serial devices.
What you really want to specify, therefore, is "serial:ttyUSBx". You can get
away with just "ttyUSBx", though, since "serial:" is the default.

I'd like to know why direct usb didn't work for you. How did you invoke brltty
when trying it? You should just need "-dusb:".