[BRLTTY] Contraction error: benefit

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Aug 8 11:15:14 EDT 2006

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2006/08/08 at 09:04 -0400]

>In contrast to "benevolent" which uses the b-e sign, "benefit" should use
>the e-n sign. Ain't it fun?

The rule, as with "renegade", must be that the first syllable is emphasized,
uses a shrot e, and isn't the "be" prefix.

I have my doubts that the word "benefic" is being contracted correctly at the
moment. Right now it's using "en" rather than "be". If my guess is correct as
to what the rule is then this would be wrong.