[BRLTTY] Contraction error: benefit

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Tue Aug 8 12:14:17 EDT 2006

>I have my doubts that the word "benefic" is being contracted correctly at
>the
>moment. Right now it's using "en" rather than "be". If my guess is correct
>as
>to what the rule is then this would be wrong.

Well I'll be darned. i was about to say that benefic isn't a word but it is!
And you're right: be-nef-ic.
Perhaps a better approach is to check the syllabification at dictionary.com.
Benefit is ben-e-fit and thus should use the e-n sign; beneficent is
be-nef-i-cent so should use the b-e sign; beneficial is ben-e-fi-cial so
should use the e-n sign. Which probably amounts to the same thing Dave said.

Didn't we go over some of this a bit ago? Gotta look up my old messages...
:-)

Anyway, here are some examples of beneficent:

2nefic5t p{}1 giv+ !m tempor>y br1?+
 2nefic5t _s1 :51 at "s fatal mo;t1 y w
 gratitude 6! 2nefic5t ,god ( ? e>? j
fav|r$ possessor (! 2nefic5t 99