[BRLTTY] Bluetooth on FC5

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Aug 18 10:47:36 EDT 2006

[quoted lines by Lars Bjørndal on 2006/08/18 at 15:40 +0200]

>In the /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf:
>   pin_helper /path/filename;
>
>That file:
>     echo "PIN:111"

Is that file executable?

Is the dbus_pin_helper line in hcid.conf commented out or not?

What are pairing and security set to?

>Where is the link stored? is that file not deleted or something?

PINs can be cached in /etc/bluetooth/link_key, so you may want to try removing
that file just to clear out any possible errors.

Your scheme of echoing a specific PIN will cause difficulties if you ever have
more than one Bluetooth device. If you ever want/need to use a better scheme,
there are two possible solutions.

The first is to activate the dbus helper mechanism and learn how to use the
Bluetooth pass-key facility. This, in fact, is the direction they're moving in,
and they'll probably even ultimately remove the helper script mechanism. I
can't help you with it yet, though, since I haven't learned to use it either.

The second is that I can give you a helper script I wrote for myself which
supports a data file wherein you can list as many device/PIN combinations as
yot like. Also, for devices not listed in the data file it uses dialog to do a
text-mode prompt.