[BRLTTY] Bluetooth on FC5

Lars Bjørndal lars.bjorndal at broadpark.no
Fri Aug 18 16:45:18 EDT 2006

Hi, Dave! You wrote:

> [quoted lines by Lars Bjørndal on 2006/08/18 at 15:40 +0200]
>
>>In the /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf:
>>   pin_helper /path/filename;
>>
>>That file:
>>     echo "PIN:111"
>
> Is that file executable?

Oh yes. Executing it gives me PIN:123.

> Is the dbus_pin_helper line in hcid.conf commented out or not?

It's commented out.

> What are pairing and security set to?

Pairing is set to multi, and security to user.

>>Where is the link stored? is that file not deleted or something?
>
> PINs can be cached in /etc/bluetooth/link_key, so you may want to try removing
> that file just to clear out any possible errors.

There is no such file here.

> Your scheme of echoing a specific PIN will cause difficulties if you ever have
> more than one Bluetooth device. If you ever want/need to use a better scheme,
> there are two possible solutions.
>
> The first is to activate the dbus helper mechanism and learn how to use the
> Bluetooth pass-key facility. This, in fact, is the direction they're moving in,
> and they'll probably even ultimately remove the helper script mechanism. I
> can't help you with it yet, though, since I haven't learned to use it either.

I googled and found some info about a but in Fedora FC4. Don't know if
it's solved now.

> The second is that I can give you a helper script I wrote for myself which
> supports a data file wherein you can list as many device/PIN combinations as
> yot like. Also, for devices not listed in the data file it uses dialog to do a
> text-mode prompt.

Think I got your script some time ago, thanks!

Is there a way to find out if the pin_helper script realy is called? I
tried to put 'echo ctrl-g', which gave me a beep if I executed the
script from the command line. However, while running brltty, I got no sound.

Lars