[BRLTTY] brltty for the mac

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Mon Jul 3 01:01:07 EDT 2006

Just checking to see if anybody is still working on brltty for the
Mac and if any further progress is made. I see that one can compile
and install it if stripping is eliminated in config.mk in the top
level; it appears that nothing actually happens when brltty is loaded
as far as the display is concerned though;; I assume this is because
there is no screen driver yet unless it hhass something to do with my
use of a usbserial cable with my braillelite. One thing I did notice
is that wwhen I run brltty I get an error unless I do it from /
(slash). Apparently it tries to open its working directory where you
arre, such as in /usr/local/brltty/etc oalthough the directory
actually is in /etc. I assume this is avoidable in configuring but
since this isn't necessary when compiling in linux I thought I'd
mention it. There have been inquiries off and on about the progress
of braille support on the mac-discuss lists so I thought I'd check.
Of course, what is really wanted is to use braille with macosx but
even beingg able to use it in the terminal application (terminal
being the ccommand line) would be helpful. I do, however, already use
brltty on the command line by sshing in from a linux machine.

If anybody is getting anywhere with brltty on the mac I'd be glad to
hear about any progress at all.

Thanks.

--
Cheryl