[BRLTTY] brltty for the mac

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jul 3 09:51:08 EDT 2006

[quoted lines by Cheryl Homiak on 2006/07/03 at 00:01 -0500]

>Just checking to see if anybody is still working on brltty for the
>Mac and if any further progress is made.

I was supposed to have a meeting with the lady in charge of Apple accessibility
a few months ago, but, for whatever reason, that didn't happen. I've just sent
her a note to try to reinitiate that.

>I see that one can compile
>and install it if stripping is eliminated in config.mk in the top
>level;

I'll need to wait till I have direct access to a Mac in order to work on the
strip options problem.

>it appears that nothing actually happens when brltty is loaded
>as far as the display is concerned though;; I assume this is because
>there is no screen driver yet

It should work when using screen with BRLTTY's patch, though.

>unless it hhass something to do with my
>use of a usbserial cable with my braillelite.

Do you know what device names are used when ding it that way?

>One thing I did notice
>is that wwhen I run brltty I get an error unless I do it from /
>(slash). Apparently it tries to open its working directory where you
>arre, such as in /usr/local/brltty/etc oalthough the directory
>actually is in /etc. I assume this is avoidable in configuring but
>since this isn't necessary when compiling in linux I thought I'd
>mention it.

It must be having trouble determining the location of the executable at
run-time.