[BRLTTY] Slightly OT, corrupt system file under windows

Robin Williams robster3 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 19 04:53:42 EDT 2006

Hi all,
  I have a system with two OS's on it, Fedora core 5 and Win XP pro. When I try to boot to XP, I get an error that
config.sys is corrupt or missing, and that it can't boot. I tried booting in to safe mode with no success. Annoyingly, Dell didn't send me the XP cd, so
I had a friend take a look at it, thinking that he'd just be able to boot off the cd and repair it. However, apparently, it detects the hardware, loads
the drivers in to a ram disc, and then hangs. He thinks the fact that I've got Fedora core may be making things more problematic.
  I can boot to Fedora core just fine, but need to be able to boot to windows as well. As I understand it, config.sys is a throwback to doss days, and isn't
meant to have anything in it. I went in to linux and used cat to print the contents, and indeed it is empty. I'm told that confignt is the important file
these days, I don't really understand this.
  Does anybody have any ideas what I can do about this problem? If not, should I be able to just format my windows partition, rather than the entire disc,
which would then involve me having to do a complete reinstallation of Fedora core.
Thanks for any help.
Robin Williams