[BRLTTY] Braille in CLDR

Steven R. Loomis srl at monkey.sbay.org
Mon Jun 5 12:52:53 EDT 2006

Nicolas said:
>> Why shouldn't CLDR come into play here?
> Because it tends to be against the KISS principle from which BRLTTY is
> increasingly and irrevokably getting away.  And that's really
> unfortunate.  Now what will happen if you don't have CLDR installed?

CLDR is not a replacement for any particular *software* or *format*.
It's just a repository for data. As a comparison, the ICU project
(icu-project.org) uses CLDR data. ICU has its own particular data
format. When ICU does a release, it takes the latest CLDR release and
converts from the CLDR XML format into ICU format.   Other projects
use CLDR in a similar way.

Jason suggested:
> 1. A cross-project effort to define a common table format that all
> would agree
> to implement at least at the level of import/export. This format
> would have as
> one of its requirements that the tables be stored as text files,
> and be easy
> to edit.
>
> 2. A common repository for tables, maintained as a free software
> project.
> This is one reason why I would prefer an open free software project
> - no closed mailing list, no confidentiality restrictions,
> participation open to everyone.

CLDR isn't 'free software' because it isn't software, just data.

It may be that some designation as a sub-project or associated
project is appropriate for a common XML format and table repository.

Is it fairly well agreed, though, that there is no desire for
encoding the dot patterns for specific bits of locale data, apart
from printed-to-braille?  i.e.:

	<month type="1">⠠⠚⠁⠝</month>   <!-- (that's supposed to say
"Jan",  6-245-1-1345).  -->

	etc..

-srl