[BRLTTY] Braille in CLDR

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Jun 5 16:09:13 EDT 2006

Hi,

Steven R. Loomis, le Mon 05 Jun 2006 09:52:53 -0700, a écrit :
> Is it fairly well agreed, though, that there is no desire for
> encoding the dot patterns for specific bits of locale data, apart
> from printed-to-braille?  i.e.:
>
> 	<month type="1">⠠⠚⠁⠝</month>   <!-- (that's supposed to say
> "Jan",  6-245-1-1345).  -->
>
> 	etc..

I'd say that contracted braille for bits of locale data can be useful
indeed, but not without all the rest of contraction rules (for usual
words).  And as Nicolas Pitre pointed out, these rules are very tricky,
possibly too tricky for being sanely encoded in XML.

Plain printed-to-braille shouldn't be so hard.  I guess a mere pair of
tables should be sufficient: one for plain translation (one character
to possibly many dot combinations), and another one for "computer"
translation (one character to one dot combination, for fixed-size
translation for terminal-based screen reading)

Samuel