[BRLTTY] Catching PIN requests for bluetooth devices via dBus

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Mar 5 07:17:30 EST 2006

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

>>I just had another look at the bluetooth PIN request situation.  If
>>we wrote some dbus support for BRLTTY, we could easily catch
>>the bluetooth hcid PIN request message which is sent if hcid is configured
>>ot use the dbus_pin_helper instead of a program it launches
>>to prompt the user for a PIN.
>>This request contains the device over which the request came (hci0 for
>>instance) and much more importantly, the bluetooth device address.
>>In BRLTTY, we could match that address to the bluetooth address
>>of the display we are trying to connect to, and answer the PIN reuqest
>>accordng to the configuration in /etc/brltty.conf.
>
> What happens if it's a different device? Can the request be passed along to
> another handler?
Very good question, I'll have to investigate this.  AFAICS, several
listeners can wait for the same message on the DBUS, so I guess
there will be a way to let some other listener answer the request.

>>This would close the loop IMO.
>
> Although I haven't distributed it generally, I do have a PIN prompting script
> which does work quite well in text mode. That being said, I'm one who belIeves
> in supporting however A user has chosen to configure his system for whatever
> other reasons.

It is of course pretty easy to hack around this problem by providing
a custom PIN request helper script, which is exactly what I
did to get my display working.  However, I have a feeling a user
should not have to do these hackeries to get bluetooth working.

> Dbus support, therefore, would probably be good to provide.
>
>>What do you say, is it desireable to implement this?  I'd be interested
>>to give it a shot.
>
> Sure.
I'll see what I can come up with.

--