[BRLTTY] Catching PIN requests for bluetooth devices via dBus

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Mar 4 19:24:20 EST 2006

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2006/03/04 at 19:42 +0100]

>I just had another look at the bluetooth PIN request situation.  If
>we wrote some dbus support for BRLTTY, we could easily catch
>the bluetooth hcid PIN request message which is sent if hcid is configured
>ot use the dbus_pin_helper instead of a program it launches
>to prompt the user for a PIN.
>This request contains the device over which the request came (hci0 for
>instance) and much more importantly, the bluetooth device address.
>In BRLTTY, we could match that address to the bluetooth address
>of the display we are trying to connect to, and answer the PIN reuqest
>accordng to the configuration in /etc/brltty.conf.

What happens if it's a different device? Can the request be passed along to
another handler?

>This would close the loop IMO.

Although I haven't distributed it generally, I do have a PIN prompting script
which does work quite well in text mode. That being said, I'm one who belIeves
in supporting however A user has chosen to configure his system for whatever
other reasons. Dbus support, therefore, would probably be good to provide.

>What do you say, is it desireable to implement this?  I'd be interested
>to give it a shot.

Sure.