[BRLTTY] buglet: uinput is not autoloaded

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Tue Mar 28 10:02:34 EST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Mario Lang wrote:

> Hi.
>
> JFYI, I knew of this for a long time, but now it hit some other
> user, and I realized the situation right now is not really optimal:
> uinput does not get autoloaded by the kernel in any way,
> so the user needs to modprobe it, or put it into /etc/modules,
> otherwise they will only get the default english keyboard layout
> for the external keyboard.  I guess some will never realize they
> could actually use the mapping they already configured for the
> local console.
>
> Any suggestions?  Can't we call modprobe explicitly in
> the uinputOpen case?  check for it in /proc/modules first, of course...

I have a real dislike for applications that perform external operations
like that under the hood.  Dave once suggested that BRLTTY could do the
mknod itself when trying to open /dev/vcsa failed because the device
node was not there, while I really think such things should be done at
installation time.

So IMHO adding a file called /etc/modprobe.d/brltty with the
necessary line to load uinput if /etc/modprobe.d
exists is the right thing to do at installation time.  Anything else
more intrusive would be impolite, especially when the user has decided
otherwise for whatever reason.

Nicolas