[BRLTTY] buglet: uinput is not autoloaded

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Mar 28 11:13:00 EST 2006

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2006/03/28 at 16:29 +0200]

>uinput does not get autoloaded by the kernel in any way,
>so the user needs to modprobe it, or put it into /etc/modules,

It's usually best to fix a problem at its source whenever possible. Wouldn't it
be better, therefore, to fix the kernel so that it does modprobe the facility
if it's missing at the time it knows it's needed?

>otherwise they will only get the default english keyboard layout
>for the external keyboard.

I'm curious, and would appreciate a more detailed explanation. I thought that
uinput just sent keycodes through the regular path of entry. Why wouldn't they,
therefore, go through the normal mapping?