[BRLTTY] buglet: uinput is not autoloaded

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Mar 28 14:17:55 EST 2006

[quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2006/03/28 at 20:51 +0200]

>They're focused on a device-driven udev, and don't see special cases
>like udev.

But, as I see it, this isn't a special case, and to view it as such is
incorrect. The common requirement is that an optional device driver needs to be
implicitly loaded by an application which needs that optional device. The
applciation should be able to only know the name of the device it needs. The
user shouldn't need to do some special system configuration so that an
application which he uses but doesn't intimately understand can work. The name
of any as yet undefined device, therefore, needs to be passed through the
system for preprocessing and preparation.