[BRLTTY] Still problems with Fedora Core 6

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Nov 10 23:34:10 EST 2006

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 04:47:37AM +0100, Christian wrote:
> Hi,
> when typing yum install brltty is there anything else i should type or answer?
> I have no sighted help so I tried typing yum install brltty and after some time i tried
> brltty -bts -dttyS0 but with no luck. What am I doing wrong?

I don't know. At this point I think you would be best persuading a friend to
come around and have a look. Alternatively you could boot from a live CD and
copy brltty manually. There are Linux CDs with BRLTTY installed. If you have
another computer running Linux which you can access, you could connect it to
the new machine over a network cable and use ssh to access the shell on the
new system.

I don't want to start a debate here, but I've never liked Red Hat
distributions, for a number of reasons, one of which is that they can't be
upgraded without rebooting the system. Debian, on the other hand, can be
installed once and then upgraded from the command line, without ever having to
re-install the system or boot from a CD. Ubuntu is derived from Debian, and so
far as I know, it supports similar upgrade procedures.