[BRLTTY] What shall we do with bluetooth passkeys?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Nov 16 07:29:09 EST 2006

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2006/11/16 at 09:53 +0100]

>Such an application already exists, its the source I attached
>to the initial mail of this thread.  It *is* included in the bluetooth
>package, but not procompiled, it is a "example".  I dont like the
>idea requiring the user to compile this, and have it run before brltty
>is started.  THis is, IMO, too much detail to do for the user.

What if we try to encourage them to deliver it as a standard tool? I agree that
it's far too much to expect a user to compile something, but what about
requiring that he execute a command like "set-bluetooth-pin <address> <pin>"?

>THe user should be able to configure all aspects of his bluetooth connection
>in brltty.conf, IMO.

PErhaps. As I see it, there are two issues. The first is if it's the job of
each individual Bluetooth application to support PIN binding or are the users
and the application developers ultimately better served by having a simple,
easy-to-use command dedicated to that purpose. The second is if it's
sufficiently secure for a user to put his PIN in a general data file like
brltty.conf or if it's ultimately better to just let Bluetooth hide it away
somewhere and somehow.