[BRLTTY] re: Python brlapi and translation table question

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Nov 16 09:34:25 EST 2006

Hi,

scott at bashautomation.com, le Thu 16 Nov 2006 09:07:29 -0500, a écrit :
> Yes, the preference menu allows for global switching of languages and I
> assume translation tables.  It would be nice to be able to switch
> translation table programmatically.

That's expected to be added to the API later.

> An example of this usefulness would be viewing a webpage that has
> foreign language intermingled within the native language.  This is
> very valuable in speech.  We are less sure about the importance in
> braille.

Mmm, in such case, I'd maybe suggest to use separate braille
translation software and directly send dots via the API, because at
least for asian languages for instance, you can't use a "table". The
braille translation is much more complicated.

> 2.  We are looking forward to the AND/OR function.  Please let me know if
> I can help here.

I'll work on it.

> 3.  Yes, we are getting a connection error regarding the wrong display
> number.  I will investigate further.

Mmm, I don't understand: do you get an error when using
brlapi.Connection() (which is a bug), or when using brlapi.write() with
displayNumber != -1? (which is normal since it's not yet implemented)

Samuel