[BRLTTY] What shall we do with bluetooth passkeys?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Nov 16 18:18:12 EST 2006

Stéphane Doyon <s.doyon at videotron.ca> writes:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Dave Mielke wrote:
>
>> The second is if it's
>> sufficiently secure for a user to put his PIN in a general data file like
>> brltty.conf or if it's ultimately better to just let Bluetooth hide it away
>> somewhere and somehow.
>
> Useless side question: is there actually any way to change the PIN on
> a Brailliant to something other than 1234? Are there any other
> bluetooth displays out there, and do they allow changing the PIN?

I do not know about the Brailliant.  Some displays do allow to change
the PIN (I remember some little Baum device with a internal menu
that allowed that, but I forgot its name).  Some others
have a hardcoded PIN.  Even others do have PINs which are "mathematically"
related to the device serial number...

> 'cause otherwise, it's not a big secret :-) and we can set it without
> asking the user.

For those displays that always have the same PIN, that would
be the right thing to do IMO, yet another reason to implement this
functionality in the core.  However, the serial-numbers-make-up-the-PIN
devices would allow that too, but I am not sure it is in the interest
of the users and/or the manufacturing company to reveal that knowledge,
if it exists...

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'
   `-