[BRLTTY] What shall we do with bluetooth passkeys?

Stéphane Doyon s.doyon at videotron.ca
Fri Nov 17 08:57:40 EST 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2006/11/17 at 00:18 +0100]
>
>> Stéphane Doyon <s.doyon at videotron.ca> writes:
>>> is there actually any way to change the PIN on
>>> a Brailliant to something other than 1234?
>
> Yes, as it turns out, there is. It has to be done from the PC, though. I could
> write a BrlAPI application for you which does it if you'd like.

Really?! How is that done? BrlAPI??

Well it would be nice to be able to change it, but honestly it's not a big
deal, more a matter of principle...

>> For those displays that always have the same PIN, that would
>> be the right thing to do IMO, yet another reason to implement this
>> functionality in the core.
>
> There actually is a problem. Until you can see the device you can't
> probe it to figure out what kind of device it is. Until you know the PIN
> you can't see the device.

I'm not sure what you mean...
$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
         00:A0:96:0B:AE:F9       HWG Brailliant40 25010972
         00:14:51:53:DE:DB       iMac-Intel
$

(The iMac belongs to one of my colleagues. Running this at work is fun,
later in the day all sorts of cell phone come up...)

I don't know how that works exactly, but it seems like the info is
available... You don't need a PIN to get this.

--
Stéphane Doyon
<s.doyon at videotron.ca>