[BRLTTY] Dimensions of braille displays

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Nov 28 17:45:55 EST 2006

Nicolas Pitre <nico at cam.org> writes:

>> I'm wondering which dimensions a braille display can ha2e, in cells.
>> Those I know typically are one-line-displays, the number of columns
>> varying between, say, 18 and 80 cells. Are there other geometries
>> available ? If the answer is Yes, which models use these geometries ?
>
> The Bookworm has 8 cells.
>
> I saw a multi row braille display only once.  It was a prototype only
> demonstrated during a trade show.  Its refresh rate was impossibly slow
> and its price was approaching the hundred thousands dollars.  In other
> words, all practical braille displays only have had one row so far.

That is not quite right.  I remember a 2x40 display by a company called
EHG, if I remember correctly.  Or the product was called EHG, at least
it was sold in the 90s in europe.  And there is the HandyTech GWP (graphic
window professional) which has a matrix of dots for displaying graphics.
I dont remember the dimensions, but if you drive it like a braille display, you
surely get several lines of approx. 20 or 30 chars...

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'
   `-