[BRLTTY] Dimensions of braille displays

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Tue Nov 28 18:06:26 EST 2006

Hi,

> An Israeli company (I forget its name right now) developed a mouse with a
> graphical dot matrix on it (I forget the size). There's no reason that this
> matrix couldn't be used to display text when the mouse is on text.

I'm not quite sure about that. To me, the ability of this kind of device
to display text depends on whether it is able or not to respect the
distances our fingers are used to between dots in a cell, consecutive
characters, consecutive lines. At the moment, I'm not fully convinced that a
completely regular dot matrix is able to respect the previously
mentionned distances.

> The column counts for single-row displays that come to mind are: 8, 12, 18, 24,
> 32, 40, 44, 66, 70, 80, 88.

And 20, too, I guess.

> There's a Danish display called LogText which presents the user with one line
> but which maintains an 80x25 screen image internally.

How does the user access this internal representation ? What's the
interest of maintaining such a representation in addition to the one
already provided by a screen reader like brltty ?

Sébastien.