[BRLTTY] Dimensions of braille displays

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Tue Nov 28 18:17:55 EST 2006

Hi,

> First, you could switch TIM between textual and graphical mode.
> Its size was about a man's hand. And now imagine: You show a Icon on that
> display, let's say a microphone for sound input. You have to made this icon
> smaller, so that it fits on the display. It changes its shape; can you
> identify it?

My intuition leads me to answer something like "Yes, probably, after
some learning process".

> Think of those persons who are blind from their birth: They have often
> little imagination of shapes when the form is changed by making them larger
> or smaller. It has to do with perspective.

I am not sure the ability to identify a picture by touching it has
something to do with the fact of borning blind or becoming blind later.
In other words, I don't know whether a person that saw a microphone will
be able to associate the dots she touches with the image of the
microphone she may have kept in her mind.
But that's a totally different topic...

Thanks anyway for your explanations, Herman, and thanks to all of you
for your replies.

Sébastien.