[BRLTTY] braillelite 18 on Mac being detected as braillelite 18 and not working

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Nov 30 22:49:52 EST 2006

[quoted lines by Cheryl Homiak on 2006/11/30 at 21:16 -0600]

>I had to take my braillelite 40 in to get a new battery and plugged my
>braillelite 18 into my usb-serial calbe. though brltty appeared to start,
>the braillelite display did not work though I did sometimes get "waiting
>on serial device". The log indicated that the braillelite 18 was being
>detected as a braillelite 40.

Neither the 18 nor the 40 support autodetection (the Millenniums, however, do)
so brltty uses a rather crude
approach to try to figure out which one it is. A normal write is sent to the
device in such a way that the 18 will acknowledge but the 40 won't. Since your
18 is being detected as a 40, that implies that the timeout may be too short.
It's very likely that the USB<->Serial adapter is introducing an extra time
delay since USB input is done by polling.

If you go to line 324 of BrailleDrivers/BrailleLite/braille.c, you should find:

   approximateDelay(400);

This number is in milliseconds. Try increasing it to, say, 1000 (which would be
a whole second) to see if that works better.