[BRLTTY] brltty "keyboard braille device" support (and a few more things)

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Jan 25 03:04:18 EST 2007

[quoted lines by Klaus Knopper on 2007/01/25 at 08:48 +0100]

>I'm also thinking about people in lesser-industrial countries
>who simply have no way of afforing a braille device. I would like to add
>speech and keyboard navigation capabiliies to a special Knoppix
>derivate, that makes it possible for a blind person to use ANY computer
>with no special hardware add-on other than a soundcard, by just
>inserting a live CD.

I myself am strictly a braille user so this may be a stupid question but I'll
ask it anyway since I don't mind looking stupid. Why not use one of the
speech-based screen readers which are already availalbe and which surely have
better speech-based screen navigation functions and presentations than brltty
does?