[BRLTTY] brltty "keyboard braille device" support (and a few more things)

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jan 25 03:41:34 EST 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 03:04:18AM -0500, Dave Mielke wrote:

> I myself am strictly a braille user so this may be a stupid question but I'll
> ask it anyway since I don't mind looking stupid. Why not use one of the
> speech-based screen readers which are already availalbe and which surely have
> better speech-based screen navigation functions and presentations than brltty
> does?

A good point. I don't think BRLTTY should venture too far into the "speech
only screen reader" territory, as there are other projects already doing that
much more effectively: SpeakUp, Yasr, LSR, Orca, etc. Emacspeak is also an
excellent speech environment, written by one of the few experts in
speech-based user interface design.