[BRLTTY] brltty "keyboard braille device" support (and a few more things)

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Jan 27 18:55:00 EST 2007

Jason White <jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 11:49:39AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>
>> uinput and evdev, rather.  The idea is to open /dev/input/evdev* and
>> call ioctl(EVIOCGRAB) on them, for getting all keypresses. They if the
>> daemon doesn't want them, it can re-send them on /dev/input/uinput.
>
> Would the plan then be to remove braille support from SBL, rewrite and enhance
> its speech support, and possibly share common code/functionality with BRLTTY
> where it makes sense to do so?

I am not sure this is what we are trying to achieve.  sbl, being a
corporately maintained braille daemon from SuSE, is not likely to
be the best candidate for external project cooperation, to word
it mildly.  Actually, there are already some speech only
solutions like yasr and speakup which are much more community-based.  It is
possibly easier to help these projects improve.

I still think the existing speech support in BRLTTY could as
well be beefed up to be more useful in real world scenarios.
To me as a user, it never really made sense to activate something
like Speak Line, because I'm already reading the line on my
display anyway.  I would use speech review more if I could
use it independently from the braille display.

--
CYa,
  Mario