[BRLTTY] brltty "keyboard braille device" support (and a few more things)

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Jan 27 19:09:45 EST 2007

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 12:55:00AM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:

> I am not sure this is what we are trying to achieve.  sbl, being a
> corporately maintained braille daemon from SuSE, is not likely to
> be the best candidate for external project cooperation, to word
> it mildly.  Actually, there are already some speech only
> solutions like yasr and speakup which are much more community-based.  It is
> possibly easier to help these projects improve.

That's what I would prefer. I think Speakup has the largest following as a
project, based on my informal observations about which solutions are mentioned
most frequently on mailing lists.

> I still think the existing speech support in BRLTTY could as
> well be beefed up to be more useful in real world scenarios.
> To me as a user, it never really made sense to activate something
> like Speak Line, because I'm already reading the line on my
> display anyway.  I would use speech review more if I could
> use it independently from the braille display.

Perhaps a mode that results in new text written to the screen being
automatically spoken would help. This would read shell command output or other
material that you wanted to access without moving the braille window.