[BRLTTY] brltty "keyboard braille device" support (and a few more things)

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jan 27 20:38:20 EST 2007

Jason White <jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au> writes:

> Would the plan then be to remove braille support from SBL, rewrite and enhance
> its speech support, and possibly share common code/functionality with BRLTTY
> where it makes sense to do so?

i, personally, have no intentions regarding telling other projects what to do.
I shall always, however, insist on improving brltty as needed.

We already know that we need keyboard command support so that shall be done.
Restructuring brltty so that it keeps running when the display is disconnected,
if only to keep the async event monitor alive, is desirable so it shall be
done. More isolation of the speech code as a unique component is a good thing
to do so it shall be done. These three things are, in fact, most of what's been
asekd for (except, of course, for application profiles but that's another
topic).

With the afore-mentioned changes in place, adding additional speech functions
would be safe and may well be useful. There'd be no reason whatsoever to refuse
well-written implementations of useful functions in that area, and all,
including Klaus, would be welcome to do so. I hope you all know by now that I
wouldn't allow any code in which would upset braille support.