[BRLTTY] Information about installing ubuntu using brltty

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Tue May 22 20:23:45 EDT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 11:04:33PM +0200, Sauro Cesaretti wrote:
> I'm trying to use ubuntu 7.04 and I saw that developers integrated brltty for the console
> and ocra for graphical mode.
> My question is, Can I install ubuntu in text mode?

Yes, but you will need to download an alternate installation image. It uses
the Debian installer. I don't know whether Ubuntu alternate images include
BRLTTY, as Debian does, as I prefer Debian to Ubuntu.

Under Debian at least, you can boot the CD, and it will detect a
(USB-connected) braille display automatically, then start BRLTTY. You will
then be presented with the text-based installer.