[BRLTTY] Problem with speech.c

Christopher Gray chris at bayareadigital.us
Fri Sep 7 18:33:27 EDT 2007

Hi Dave:

Yes, ttsynth uses IBM's viavoice.  It is available from Capital Accessibility.
If you're agreeable, I'll write Janina a note and I feel certain she'd work with
you to resolve the problem.  It's not free, however.  $40.00, US.

I have 3.8 working now in a terminal window.  However, when I go to a
full-screen session, alt+ctrl+f7 in Ubuntu, I get the message "not in text
mode".  Is their a cure for this?

Chris

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Christopher Gray on 2007/09/07 at 12:53 -0700]
>
>> I seem to have contracted a problem with speech.c.  Perhaps it is caused by
>> my installation of ttsynth, but I'm not sure.
>
> What's ttsynth? Is it by any chance a descendant of IBM's older ViaVoice
> synthesizer?
>
> Brltty is trying to build its ViaVoice speech driver. This must mean that it's
> found the eci.h header file. There must be some non-backward-compatible changes
> in it. At the very least, it appears as though the ECIParam type has
> disappeared. For the time being, just configure with the --without-viavoice
> option.
>
> Is ttsynth available for free? If so, where can I get it and I'll try to fix
> the problems.
>
> --

Christopher Gray, President
Bay Area Digital

Promoting good health with great technology

Bay Area Digital
870 Market Street, #653
San francisco, CA 94102
Phone:  (415) 217-6667