[BRLTTY] super live boot testing

Jason White jasonw at ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Sep 26 05:04:29 EDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:45:02AM +0200, adrian15 wrote:

> 	You should be able to choose the braille driver, the braille device and
> the braille table (language).

If I need a braille display to access the computer, how am I going to read the
menu of options in the first place?

Debian boot images have solved this problem, by attempting automatically to
detect the braille display when the system starts. If a braille display is
found, BRLTTY is loaded. Of course, there are cases in which braille displays
can't be detected automatically, which is why there is a standard for the
command that can be supplied at the boot prompt to invoke BRLTTY, specify the
braille driver and the character table.

So, for example, in order for this to work I need to be able to put the CD/DVD
in the drive, wait until it stops spinning, and tye something such as
knoppix brltty=bm,ttyS0
and have BRLTTY loaded. I need to know the exact keys to type to get braille
started, because I won't be able to read the terminal until the braille display is active.

Of course, if you have all of this covered already but still want to add menu
options, that's perfectly fine, but the emphasis should be on auto-dtection,
and on boot parameters that someone can type in order to get braille working,
without having to arrange for someone else to come and help out by reading
what is displayed on screen during the boot process.