[BRLTTY] super live boot testing

adrian15 adrian15sgd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 07:26:39 EDT 2007

Jason White escribió:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:45:02AM +0200, adrian15 wrote:
>
>> 	You should be able to choose the braille driver, the braille device and
>> the braille table (language).
>
> If I need a braille display to access the computer, how am I going to read the
> menu of options in the first place?
That's a very good question.

> Debian boot images have solved this problem, by attempting automatically to
> detect the braille display when the system starts. If a braille display is
> found, BRLTTY is loaded. Of course, there are cases in which braille displays
> can't be detected automatically, which is why there is a standard for the
> command that can be supplied at the boot prompt to invoke BRLTTY, specify the
> braille driver and the character table.
Aha. I do not know if knoppix autodetects the braille device or not by
defualt.

> So, for example, in order for this to work I need to be able to put the CD/DVD
> in the drive, wait until it stops spinning, and tye something such as
> knoppix brltty=bm,ttyS0
> and have BRLTTY loaded. I need to know the exact keys to type to get braille
> started, because I won't be able to read the terminal until the braille display is active.
That's a difficult thing. Even it's difficult to add line where you can
write (as in isolinux). If you want to edit kernel params you need to
type 'e', down once so that you select the kernel line, 'e' another
time, type right several times so that you are at the end of the line
and then begin typing, press 'esc' and then press 'b'. It is too
difficult if you cannot see the screen.

I might improve SGD with a line where you can write (after hearing a
beep and before booting) but I am not very sure if I will be able to do
such a thing.

> Of course, if you have all of this covered already but still want to add menu
> options, that's perfectly fine, but the emphasis should be on auto-dtection,
> and on boot parameters that someone can type in order to get braille working,
> without having to arrange for someone else to come and help out by reading
> what is displayed on screen during the boot process.
Ok.

However wouldn't mind taking 'a look' at the menues in the source code?

Source code is found  here:

http://sgd.howto-linux.de/download/sgd_plus_knoppix_beta/sgd_public_source_code_0.9626.tar.bz2
OR
http://sgd.benjamin-butschko.de/download/sgd_plus_knoppix_beta/sgd_public_source_code_0.9626.tar.bz2

You should read body_menu.lst files inside these folders:

sgd_public_source_code_0.9626/dev_knoppix/common/S85_miscelanea/S61_type
sgd_public_source_code_0.9626/dev_knoppix/common/S85_miscelanea/S62_port
sgd_public_source_code_0.9626/dev_knoppix/common/S85_miscelanea/S63_table

What follows title is what it is displayed and what's in the set line is
what is added to the boot parametres.

Oh no! I have uploaded the wrong file... I'll write tomorrow a new url
for the correct tar.gz for the source code.

However meanwhile if you know how you can mount the iso file (I'm pretty
sure the iso file is the right one) as a loop device and check for the

/boot/slb/S10en/S85_miscelanea/S61_type
/boot/slb/S10en/S85_miscelanea/S62_port
/boot/slb/S10en/S85_miscelanea/S63_table

folders where you will find menu.lst files.

adrian15