[BRLTTY] de.ttb

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Aug 9 04:55:00 EDT 2008

Jason White <jason at jasonjgw.net> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 01:30:12AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
>
>> >There are other things like certain symbols are kind of duplicated in Unicode.
>> >But I cant think of any right now, I'd need to check.
>
> As I remember, accented letters are among these: there are so-called
> "combining" characters that allow the letter and the accent to be specified
> separately, as well as characters that represent the accented letters as
> single, combined entities.

Well, a separate character would mean that one representation uses more
cells than another, right?  Normalising that sounds wrong.

> One solution to this is to "normalize" the Unicode string before it reaches
> the braille translation functions, so that only one representation is ever
> used for those characters.

If DESCCHAR still returns the original character value, I agree.  If not,
I disagree...  DESCCHAR should always report the actual character...

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'