[BRLTTY] de.ttb

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Aug 9 06:37:55 EDT 2008

Mario Lang, le Sat 09 Aug 2008 10:55:00 +0200, a écrit :
> Jason White <jason at jasonjgw.net> writes:

> > As I remember, accented letters are among these: there are so-called
> > "combining" characters that allow the letter and the accent to be specified
> > separately, as well as characters that represent the accented letters as
> > single, combined entities.
>
> Well, a separate character would mean that one representation uses more
> cells than another, right?  Normalising that sounds wrong.

Yes and no.  The combining character doesn't take room on the screen.
So for instance é (e with acute accent) and é (e + combining acute
accent), although different strings, normalize to the same, and for a
good reason: they appear exactly the same on my screen, occupying only
one column.

> > One solution to this is to "normalize" the Unicode string before it reaches
> > the braille translation functions, so that only one representation is ever
> > used for those characters.
>
> If DESCCHAR still returns the original character value, I agree.  If not,
> I disagree...  DESCCHAR should always report the actual character...

I agree with you.  The normalization should only happen just before the
output.

Samuel