[BRLTTY] BRLTTY as an independent terminal?

Tomas Valusek tvalusek at seznam.cz
Sat Aug 23 16:18:36 EDT 2008

Hello,

Unix was born in age of mainframes, where users logged in through
terminals. Linux supports this philosophy and provides several virtual
terminals on single console. When I first heard of BRLTTY, I thought it
was such a terminal emulator, relying on system tools in regards of
coupling itself to another terminal, and if a braille display was not
capable of inputting characters or other input related actions, BRLTTY
just "borrows" console keyboard for doing this. And if the system runs
X, a screenreader just detects presence of BRLTTY and interacts with it
as with a text console, not worrying about terminal capabilities.

But BRLTTY reminds me more of braille drivers present in MS-DOS, tightly
coupled with single screen and being stronlgy dependent on it.

UNIX (and Linux) was about single-purpose tools, so BRLTTY should just
present itself as TTY for underlying OS and depend on other system tools
for other tasks not directly related to Braille device.

I am afraid I didn't express myself as exactly as I would like, but my
English is still quite simple.

Tomas Valusek