[BRLTTY] BRLTTY as an independent terminal?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Aug 23 17:15:48 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Tomas Valusek on 2008/08/23 at 22:18 +0200]

>Unix was born in age of mainframes, where users logged in through
>terminals.

Yes and no. It all depends on what is meant by "terminal". I'm sure you'll
agree, for example, that there's a huge difference between a dumb ASCII
terminal connected through one of those old serial controllers and a 3270-type
display station. I'm sure you'll also agree that most mainframe users very much
preferred the "then rather intelligent" 3270 display stations over dumb ASCIi
terminals. Those display stations, just like today's monitors (which today's
users also very much prefer over dumb ASCII terminals), rely rather heavily on
well-designed video subsystems within operating system kernels.

>Linux supports this philosophy and provides several virtual terminals on
>single console.

Sure, but even each of those virtual consoles isn't simply emulating a dumb
ASCII terminal. It, for example, is also associated with a frame buffer, has
video memory, can do complex graphics, etc.

>When I first heard of BRLTTY, I thought it was such a terminal emulator,
>relying on system tools in regards of coupling itself to another terminal, and
>if a braille display was not capable of inputting characters or other input
>related actions, BRLTTY just "borrows" console keyboard for doing this.

But braille displays aren't simple devices. Each model has its own rich set of
controls and capabilities.

>And if the system runs X, a screenreader just detects presence of BRLTTY and
>interacts with it as with a text console, not worrying about terminal
>capabilities.

Yes, that's essentially how X screen readers, e.g. Orca, work.

>But BRLTTY reminds me more of braille drivers present in MS-DOS, tightly
>coupled with single screen and being stronlgy dependent on it.

No, that's not quite true. In Linux, for example, BRLTTY (somewhat
simplistically) looks at video memory. It's only limited insofar as Linux
itself exports access to that video memory. BRLTTY can actually work in a
completely separate virtual console than is currently being used by the
system's monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It's just that that need hasn't been in
demand so that functionality hasn't been made all that visible (yet). One could
also argue that it'd introduce a security hole as such operation would bypass a
locked screen.

Of course BRLTTY needs drivers since, for example, each model of braille
display has its own communication protocols. That's really no different from a
server like X which has a central core of useful common functions plus
individual drivers so that those functions can be properly implemented on the
various types of physical devices.

>UNIX (and Linux) was about single-purpose tools, so BRLTTY should just
>present itself as TTY for underlying OS and depend on other system tools
>for other tasks not directly related to Braille device.

What tasks do you feel BRLTTY itself performs that should be done by some other
application(s)?

Now please allow me to present to you another perspective. We want each and
every blind computer user to be able to use Linux (and other Unix-based
systems). The average such person isn't a technical expert ... not even close.
He also, by the very fact of his blindness, has no access to his system at all
until his braille display can be made operational on that system (I'm excluding
speech here, of course). Getting braille to work on his system, therefore, must
necessarily be as easy as possible for him. Asking him to install some
innumerable number of separate applications, and then to configure each of them
so that they all work properly together, first is an unrealistic demand. BRLTTY
offers him a single package which, in user space, becomes the equivalent to the
video subsystem within the kernel with his braille display being his monitor.
What improvements would you like to suggest to this model?