[BRLTTY] BRLTTY on Asus Linux questions

mitch steiner steinermitch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:28:20 EST 2008

Hello everyone

I am trying to help my wife setup a brailleconnect 40 on her asus linux PC.
She works with deaf/blind persons in her job and I have a computer
background and have attempted to get this working for her but we appear to
be  stuck

Our situation is this - we have checked the "on board"  menu of the
conenct40 and confirmed that it is using the USB connection and the baum
protocol. We have installed brltty using synaptic package manager on the
asus and can launch the program - but we appear to be unable to interact
with the linux console from the brailleconnect unit - no matter what command
line options we set when launching brltty, the "reply" from the command is
the same - it says  ( ie - forcing to another usb port or diferent protocol
all yield the same response) we get the version,  (brltty: BRLTTY 3.7.2)
and  the screen driver listed (brltty: Linux Screen Driver) we get this
response even if the braille display is not connected so I am positive we
are missing something

My questions are as follows ( apologies in advance for so many !)

Am I correct in the assumption that if this works I will be able to type
commands to a terminal window and control the Asus from a text mode
perspective  ?
The baum help file references keys  labels that differ from the
brailleconnect - how can I find out the equivalents?
Is anything supposed to "happen" on the braille connect when brltty is
connected ( confirmation etc) ?
Do I need a screen reader to interact with the braille display ? or can I
interact with and launch text based applications without any additional
hardware ?
Does  anyone out there have this exact setup working ?

Thank you for any help

--
Mitch

--