[BRLTTY] BRLTTY on Asus Linux questions

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Feb 27 11:55:17 EST 2008

[quoted lines by mitch steiner on 2008/02/27 at 11:28 -0500]

>we have checked the "on board"  menu of the
>conenct40 and confirmed that it is using the USB connection and the baum
>protocol.

Good.

>we get the version,  (brltty: BRLTTY 3.7.2)

That's old. Does the Linux distribution you're using offer a later release of
brltty? If not, would you consider building the latest release yourself from
brltty's source repository?

>Am I correct in the assumption that if this works I will be able to type
>commands to a terminal window and control the Asus from a text mode
>perspective  ?

Yes.

>The baum help file references keys  labels that differ from the
>brailleconnect - how can I find out the equivalents?

If you let us know what the actual keys are called, we can then tell you what
they're called within the help file.

>Is anything supposed to "happen" on the braille connect when brltty is
>connected ( confirmation etc) ?

Yes. I believe, however, that brltty started autodetecting USB-conected devices
in release 3.8. If you really must stay with 3.7.2 then try adding the option
-dusb: (yes, the trailing colon is necessary).

>Do I need a screen reader to interact with the braille display ?

No.

>or can I interact with and launch text based applications without any
>additional hardware ?

Yes.